In this guide, the experts from the blog AllHost.top will share step-by-step instructions on how to reset the Webmin password. Webmin is a web-based system administration tool that allows users to manage their Unix-based systems through a graphical interface. If you have forgotten your Webmin password or need to change it for security reasons, this guide will help you through the process.
Before proceeding with the password reset, please ensure that you have administrative access to the server or system where Webmin is installed. Let’s begin with the step-by-step instructions.
Step 1: Accessing Webmin
Open your preferred web browser and enter the URL to access your Webmin installation. Typically, this will be in the format of “https://yourdomain.com:10000“.
Step 2: Locating the Login Screen
On the Webmin login screen, enter your username and password. If you have forgotten your password, proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Resetting the Password
To reset the Webmin password, click on the “Forgot Password?” link located below the login form.
Step 4: Entering Recovery Mode
- You will be redirected to the Webmin Recovery Mode page.
- Enter the username associated with your Webmin account in the provided field.
Step 5: Generating a New Password
You have two options to generate a new password: a. Option 1: Click on the “Generate password” button to have Webmin generate a strong, random password for you. b. Option 2: If you prefer to set a custom password, enter it in the “New password” field.
Step 6: Saving the New Password
After generating or entering the new password, click on the “Change” button to save it.
Step 7: Logging in with the New Password
- Return to the Webmin login screen.
- Enter your username and the new password you just set.
- Click on the “Login” button to access Webmin.
Additional Options When Changing the Password May Be Useful:
- Enabling Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): Strengthen the security of your Webmin installation by enabling 2FA. This adds an extra layer of protection by requiring a second verification method, such as a time-based one-time password (TOTP) generated by an authenticator app. a. To enable 2FA in Webmin, navigate to the “Webmin Configuration” section. b. Locate the “Two-Factor Authentication” option and follow the instructions to set it up.
- Changing Password Policy: Adjusting the password policy can enhance the security of your Webmin installation and ensure strong passwords are used. a. In the Webmin interface, go to the “Webmin Configuration” section. b. Look for the “Password Restrictions” or similar option. c. Modify the settings to enforce password complexity requirements, such as minimum length, character types, and password expiration.
Resetting your Webmin password is a straightforward process that can be done through the Webmin Recovery Mode. By following the step-by-step instructions provided in this guide, you can regain access to your Webmin account or update your password for improved security. Additionally, we have highlighted additional options, such as enabling two-factor authentication and changing the password policy, which can further enhance the security of your Webmin installation. Remember to always choose strong and unique passwords to protect your system from unauthorized access.
I have extensive experience in the field of IT infrastructure security Regularly work on continuous monitoring of the network and infrastructure, preventing any possible security breach; other tasks and issues related to security. In my free time, I enjoy writing a column for this blog, where I share my experience and knowledge.